Many new dental school graduates go into private practice, whether as an associate or owner. It’s never too early to think about the kind of practice that fits you best. Many skills required to run a business are never taught in dental school, so you have to seek that information on your own.
One option is to get an MBA. The 2012 April issue of ASDA News features an article that compares your options for doing so while in dental school.
Balancing Your Career and Your Life
The 2011 spring issue of Mouth was all about achieving a work/life balance. Flip through the issue for the following topics:
- Success stories from dentists who use athletics, philanthropy and even music as a way to add meaning to their careers.
- Tips on proper ergonomics
- A primer on building a successful business
- For hands-on training that is specific to your career in dentistry, ASDA created the National Leadership Conference. This conference has several tracks to address leadership in your chapter, as an associate or in your own practice.
- Dale Carnegie is one of America’s most famous self-improvement authors and businessmen. Pick up a copy of “How to Win Friends and Influence People” to drum up business and learn how to properly manage staff. For a more comprehensive experience, consider a Dale Carnegie training course.
- “The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People” by Stephen Covey is a leadership-training book that has become one of the best-selling business books of all time.
- “Emotional Intelligence” by Daniel Coleman looks at qualities such as self-control, persistence and motivation. The premise is that a higher EQ, rather than IQ, can develop through education and pave the way for management skills.
Technology for Your Practice
ASDA has published several articles on dental technology. Here are some good reads if you'd like to learn more about the topic:
ADA Center for Professional Success
The ADA Center for Professional Success features information tailored for new dentists. They frequently publish new information about managing your career, expanding your knowledge and balancing your life outside of work.
Your ADA member login is required to view the content on this site.
Success Dental Student Programs
The ADA offers the Success Dental Student Programs to every school, every year. Programs are free of charge.
- Success Smart Start for Freshmen
- Success Professional Preview for Sophomores
- Success Career Strategies for Juniors
- Success Practice Management for Seniors
For more information on the programs or to bring Success to your school, contact the ADA Office of Student Affairs at 312-440-7470 or email@example.com.